Why this course?
This course will help you unlock the powerful world of data journalism to tell deep, insightful stories. You’ll learn to find, analyze, interpret and visualize data in compelling new ways.
This course contributes to answering some big challenges in the news space using digital tools. Some of the challenges are:
- How can platforms and newsrooms strengthen quality reporting and fight misinformation?
- How can local news organizations continue serving their communities with quality news content as revenue pressures increase?
- How can newsrooms and journalists be assisted to ensure their reporting better reflects the communities they cover?
- How can newsrooms leverage new technologies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their reporting?
Who is this course for?
Journalists and other media practioners who would like to improve their skills and remain relevant in a data-driven world.
What tools are used?
- Google Public Data Explorer
- Google Surveys
- Google Crisis Map
- Global Forest Watch
- Election Databot
- Google Data GIF Maker
- Google Trends
- Google Fusion Tables
What is the course structure?
The course consists of 15 lessons that take approximately 100 minutes to complete on average. The course is free and self-paced.